Think about your best relationships -they are usually good and strong because you care about each other, you spend time together, and you value what the other has to say. The same principles are true for a good relationship with God.
Prayer is simply talking with God. Isn’t it amazing that you have a direct line to the Creator of the universe! We need to realise that His ways are often beyond what we can appreciate or grasp. We have to accept that we can’t always understand why God responds as He does or why we don’t always getwhat we have asked for. When we pray and ask God to do something for us He always hears our prayers but His answer might be yes, no or not yet! When the answer isn’t “yes”, we should continue toget to know Him better and ask for the strength to accept that He knows what is best for us and has a perfect eternal perspective.
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4.6-7)
And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask. (1 John 5.14)
In those days when you pray, I will listen. (Jeremiah 29.12)
There are no special words or formula you have to use when you pray, but many have found using the letters A.C.T.S helpful: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication.
– Adoration is telling God how great He is and how you love Him for it.
– Confession is admitting and saying sorry for the bad things you still do, think and say.
– Thanksgiving is thanking God for His undeserved love and forgiveness and for everything He has given you and done for you.
– Supplication is asking God for help with the things in your life that you need to change, as well as praying for other people.
Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5.16-18)
Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. (Colossians 4.2)
Find time each day to talk with God and you will begin to trust Him more with everything.
- Thank God that He is interested in what you say and always listens when you talk to Him
- Ask God to help you to be more thankful for His love and care for you
- Ask Jesus to help you to remember to talk to Him every day